Shomy Hasan Chowdhury
Shomy Hasan Chowdhury is a multi-award winning Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activist from Bangladesh as well as;
- The Co-Founder of Awareness 360
- Schwarzman Scholar '21-'22
- US State Department Alumna
- Global Citizen Youth Advocate
- Asia Representative of the Commonwealth Students' Association
- Global Changemakers Fellow
- Royal Commonwealth Society Fellow
- Youth Advisor of Youth Combating NTDs
- Advisor of Democracy Moves
- Global Youth Council Member of Social Shifters
- Certified Commonwealth Leader
- Policy Team Lead at Commonwealth Youth Forum 2021 International Taskforce
- Global Youth Ambassador for Theirworld UK
- TEDx Speaker
- International Election Observer - The Diana Award, Hult Prize Foundation, the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition, Commonwealth Youth Program, Global Changemakers & more.
Shomy regularly addresses keynotes in many international events. She spoke at the Global Citizen Festival 2017 in Central Park, New York, addressing a crowd of over 60,000 people. She has shared the stage with and been applauded by several world leaders, celebrities and dignitaries as she travelled across 5 continents.
Shomy graduated in Economics from Universiti Putra Malaysia and was one of the first-ever international students to be recognised with the Putra Icon Award. She has been selected as the only Bangladeshi to join the Schwarzman Scholars Programme 2021-22, one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. She will be studying a fully funded Masters in Global Affairs at world-renowned Tsinghua University in Beijing, China.
She has received many recognitions for her social work of over a decade, notably the President's Volunteer Service Award (Gold) in 2012 from President Barack Obama for her outstanding contribution to community service.
She has also brought pride for her nation by becoming the first & only Bangladeshi to have been awarded the 2019 Princess Diana Legacy Award for her social work continuing Princess Diana's legacy, a title given to only 20 young people from across the globe.
In 2020, she became Asia Pacific's first Samsung Global-UNDP Generation17 Young Leader, being 1 of 4 leaders chosen from the world. Earlier this year, she was named a Forbes 30 Under 30 and the Featured Honoree for Social Impact.
Recently, she became the first Bangladeshi to sit on the panel of Judges for The Diana Legacy Award 2021 along with Princess Diana's brother Lord Spencer and many other esteemed figures.